Start a new topic

Ubuntu Client 2.2.3 Lags To Open, Frequent Lags With Event Playback.

Hello friends. There seems to be an issue with the Linux client, specifically on Ubuntu (the regular variant that ships with Unity). A discussion was taking place between myself and Alexey in the web site's chat room (who helped immensely so far), but at this point this feels as though an official report posted here is the proper channel.

Issues:

1. Client lags 20-30 seconds to open

2. Client lags 20-30 seconds when launching events to play back within the main interface (at the bottom below the live feed)

Distributions/operating systems I've tested with client 2.2.3:

Ubuntu 14.04 - exhibited both issues listed above

Ubuntu 15.10 - exhibited both issues listed above

Ubuntu 16.04 beta - exhibited both issues listed above

Ubuntu Mate 16.04 beta - had no issues in my testing

Windows 8.1 - had no issues in my testing

It was recommended I run an strace. I ran the command suggested, which dumped a trc file (should be attached), which a dev from the chat room pointed this out:

5400 0.000055 socket(PF_LOCAL, SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC, 0) = 18 <0.000010>

5400 0.000024 connect(18, {sa_family=AF_LOCAL, sun_path=@"/tmp/dbus-Q25yo9RyDW"}, 23) = 0 <0.000016>

5400 0.000093 sendmsg(18, {msg_name(0)=NULL, msg_iov(2)=[{"l\1\0\1\25\0\0\0\2\0\0\0\200\0\0\0\1\1o\0\f\0\0\0/ScreenS"...,

144}, {"\n\0\0\0bluecherry\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 21}], msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, MSG_NOSIGNAL) = 165 <0.000014>

5400 0.000045 poll([{fd=18, events=POLLIN}], 1, 25000 <unfinished ...>

5400 9.634124 <... poll resumed> ) = 0 (Timeout) <25.022171>

This, as per my limited understanding, looks like the client is calling the Ubuntu screensaver, gets no response, but resumes after the timeout is reached (25 seconds). Compare to that of Ubuntu Mate (which works without issue) and likely most other distributions that use something different, and therefore don't have the lag issue.

What I found:

Using the above output as a reference when digging around, I downloaded the Bluecherry Client from github and began grepping for key terms in the config files in an effort to help. One stood out to me: "bluecherry-client-master/debian/changelog: * Bug #59: Add an option to disable screensavers on Linux"

Given this looked like an option was *added* to the client, it made me wonder if something was in the settings of the client itself. Maybe I should have started simple with the client options first, but at the time I didn't think of it. If I open the Bluecherry Client, click on the Bluecherry menu item, then Options, a window pops up. At the bottom there's 3 checkboxes:

"Prevent the computer from going to sleep when..."

1. Always prevent the computer from going to sleep

2. Viewing live or recorded video in fullscreen

3. Playing recorded video

My findings on Ubuntu (14.04, 15.10, 16.04 beta):

1. If option 1 is unchecked (options 2 and 3 remain checked), the client opens nearly instantly. It still exhibits a random, but frequent, ~25 second lag when opening events at the bottom of the main interface.

2. If all 3 options are unchecked, not only does the client open nearly instantly, but the random-yet-frequent lags are seemingly gone.

I've replicated this issue on 7 machines with Ubuntu (14.04, 15.10, 16.04). Some are physical machines, some are virtual machines. All physical machines were running a minimum of an i3 processor and an SSD.

All in all, if you are experiencing this issue, disabling these 3 options in the Options as notated above seemingly works around the problem. I hope that this information helps developers. If I can be of any assistance with testing, please let me know.

P.S. - I've only been running the Bluecherry demo for a few days now, but I've been very impressed with the level of communication between the team and customers. I'm anxious to get a real Bluecherry setup moving now. Thank you, team!

Login or Signup to post a comment